Looking for fall-themed meatless Monday recipes? I put this together using late carrots and kale from the winter garden.
The recipe uses some ingredients that cannot be found in our small town, which I order online. For TVP, nutritional yeast, and flax seed meal, my favorite brand is Bob’s Red Mill, available through Amazon or bobsredmill.com.
What is TVP? Textured Vegetable Protein is a wonderful, low fat protein made from soy. It has a neutral taste, like most soy products. It works great in chili and casseroles. Since it comes dehydrated, always re-hydrate in hot water first, other wise it affects liquid content in recipes. However, if you have a watery recipe, adding dry TVP will solve that problem and give the dish body.
This would also be good with mashed parsnips added to regular recipe!
Carrot Kale Loaf
6 cups purred carrots, onions, celery (see below)
2 cups chopped kale
1 cup egg whites (egg substitute or fresh egg whites)
1 cup TVP (textured vegetable protein), rehydrated in 1.2- 2 cups hot water. Drain off excess water
1 cup sesame seed
1/2 cup flax seed meal
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
2/3 cup baking mix
Water, as needed
1 cup raisins
- To prepare veggies, slice up each, then simmer in broth or water, puree in food processor.
- Place in large bow. Add egg whites, stir
- Add TVP, sesame seed, flax seed meal, nutritional yeast, baking mix, seasonings
- Add water until consistency of bisquit dough
- Stir in raisins and kale
- Place in baking pan, Bake 350 degrees for 40 mins
- Allow to cool somewhat before slicing
Serving suggestions, with dilly sour cream, ranch or other dressing.
Best served on a cold, snowy day, in front of the fireplace! Like today.