Last week after arriving home, I came up with a number of great things to eat as I caught up on work and everything else. Out in the garden I found overwintered greens which have fresh new growth, scallions, and young garlic. I also pulled two tiny beets.
I love my spinach and kale. I used it all up and some of the onions. This is a great time of year because I have lots of fresh stuff and still have a selection from last years’ garden in the freezer.
I had 8 fruit/veggie servings today. I made a green smoothie for lunch and omelete for dinner. I made a stew for tomorrow and later in the week. I will have several meals from both the omelete and stew.
- 1 cup almond milk or plain yogurt
- 2 generous handful greens
- 1/2 cup cut of beets
- 1 fruit (peeled/cored apple, applesauce, pear, banana,or pineapple)
- other options: protein powder, probiotic powder (sweet), soy flour
Liquefy in a blender, it it’s not bright green add more spinach!
Note: if you watch carbs like I do, almond milk is better than yogurt (the beets and fruit are already two carbs).Also, any optional items need to be lower carb, higher protein for me.
Note: pears are my favorite fruit with spinach, even canned pears work great in a pinch.
Cheese Omelet with Onion, Kale, and Spinach
- 3 fresh eggs
- 1 small carton egg substitute
- big handful of scallions
- lots of spinach, kale
- 1/2 cup cheese
- salt, pepper, seasoning
Saute onions for about 5 mins, add greens and small amount of water. Cook until greens wilt. Beat eggs and egg substitute together, add 1/4 cup water. Add cheese, pour over veggies. Bake at 300 degrees for about 20-25 mins.
Crock Pot Vegan Stew
- 2 cups cooked brown rice (I cook large batches and freeze in 2 cup amounts)
- 1 cup cooked black beans (cook large batches and freeze in 1 cup amounts)
- 2 generous handfuls of fresh greens
- 1/2 cup sliced scallions and tops
- 1 pint frozen stewed tomatoes
- 2 frozen herb cubes
- 1 pkg frozen green beans (I usually package up about a cup)
- 1/2 cup green olives
- parmaesan on top, before eating
If you use frozen ingredients, layer in 3 qt crock pot in the order listed. Cook on low about 6 hours max. Stir before serving, and top with parmaesan or other cheese
If you use thawed ingredients, cook in a saucepan or skillet for about 10 mins. Add cheese before serving.
Note: the second time I eat this I add meat (chicken, fish, anchovies, or sometimes a little ground beef) If I add chicken I also add tomatillos and/or green chilies, if I add beef I add red salsa on top. With anchovies I put feta on top! That is my absolute favorite but it is a sodium nightmare, so plan ahead!!!